September 1 is sacred to Sikhs across the world. On this very day, in 1604 AD, their fifth guru Guru Arjun Dev installed the very first copy of Guru Granth Sahib — the living guru of Sikhism — then known as the Adi Granth, at the Golden Temple in Amritsar.
To commemorate this occasion, a copy of the Guru Granth Sahib was installed at the newly inaugurated darbar hall of Gurdwara Sri Guru Singh Sabha in Kharghar.
The work on the gurdwara was initiated by members of Sadh Sangat and Committee under the leadership of President Commander (IN) (Retd) Sardar Singh Malhotra six years ago.
Baba Narinder Singh, in the presence of over 10,000 Sikh Sadh Sangat, performed the installation ceremony. Gurubani discourses and Shabad Kirtan, rendered by the prominent Ragis invited from Punjab, followed the ceremony. Gurdwara president Gurdev Singh Bansal welcomed the guests and honoured Baba Narinder Singh with a saropa.
Bansal spoke at length about the significance of the gurdwara and informed that its interiors and exteriors were done using the latest technology. He also claimed that the gurdwara was one of the best spiritual centres, equipped with a spacious darbar hall measuring 136 ft x 50 ft, having a capacity to accommodate over 1,000 devotees at a time.
A Mahanagar Kirtan procession led by ‘Panj Piaras’, with ‘Guru Granth Sahib Ji’ in a specially decorated ‘Palki’, was taken along the Central Park corridor. All ten gurdwaras in the city, under the flagship of Supreme Council Navi Mumbai Gurdwaras, took part in the procession. Another highlight of the procession was the performance of Gatka and other Sikh Marshall arts by the youngsters.