An explosion in the air conditioning unit of a life insurance firm, which is situated in the Lake City Mall at Thane, took the life of one person and injured three people yesterday. The four men saw sparks flying from the AC. Before they could react, the machine exploded. The worker fixing the grill of the AC fell from the fourth floor of the building and was declared dead on the spot.
Police said that around 3.20 pm, the four men who were working at the firm’s data centre, on the fourth floor of Lake City Mall saw sparks flying from the AC while they were getting the compressor fixed. “The blast occurred a few minutes later and the person who was doing the welding work on the grill of the AC unit immediately fell from the fourth floor, which cost him his life,” said B R Choudhari, senior inspector, Kapurbawadi police station.
Three fire engines rushed to the spot. The family members of the deceased and injured have not yet come forward and the police are gathering information from the contractor who hired them to do the job. The deceased has been identified as Alam Khan (20). The three injured Banmali Behra (36), resident of Dharavi, Salman Khan (20), resident of Mumbai Central and Mohammad Ali Khan (28), resident of Sion, have been admitted to Thane Civil Hospital with burn injuries. They have suffered from 13-58 per cent burns.