Just a day before her first day in Std V, a 10-year-old girl from Mumbra died from electric shock. The girl was playing badminton with her friends, when she came in contact with a live wire and died on the spot.
According to police, the girl identified as Munira Murtuza Thanewala, was a resident of Silver Arche in Anand Koliwada of Mumbra. On Wednesday night, she was playing with her friends at the Zaini Housing society compound when the incident occurred.
A resident of the building said, "Around 11pm, while they were playing badminton, the shuttlecock fell near the streetlight. When Munira went near the pole to pick it up, she came in contact with it and got electrocuted. It was raining when this happened, so that may be a reason behind the incident."
On being informed about the incident, the Mumbra police and fire brigade immediately reached the spot. However, by that time Munira had already succumbed to her injuries. Her body was then shifted to Kalwa hospital for post-mortem. The police have registered a case of accidental death in the matter and are further investigating it.
Speaking to mid-day, the girl's father Murtuza Thanewala, said, "We are still in shock. We cannot understand how this happened."
People who reside nearby said that the incident happened due to the negligence of the residents of the building and the authorities concerned. They said that for the past couple of days the streetlight was exposed to current, yet people did not report about it to the authorities.
Watch Video: Mystery over model and TV host Sonika Chauhan's death?
Download the new mid-day android app to get updates on all the latest and trending stories on the go https://goo.gl/8Xlcvr
Photos: 'Dangal' girls Sanya Malhotra, Fatima Sana Shaikh's dinner outing
Photos: Salman Khan, Daisy Shah spotted at the Mumbai airport
Photos: Rakhi Sawant to play Honeypreet in Ram Rahim biopic
Photos: Arvind Kejriwal asks Kamal Haasan to join politics
Photos: TV actress who played goddesses on the small screen