11/7 Mumbai train blasts: Death sentence to five convicts

Special MCOCA court on Wednesday gave death sentence to all five convicts who planted bombs in Mumbai local trains in 2006 that killed 88 people and injured over 800. Seven others were given life sentence. The five who have been given death sentence are -- Ehtesham Siddiqui, Asif Khan, Mohammad Faisal Shaikh, Naveed Khan and Kamal Ahamed Ansari.

Photos: Tracing the 11/7 Mumbai train blasts convicts' deadly journey

Calling the convicts 'merchants of death', the prosecution last week sought death penalty for eight of the 12 convicts in the 11/7 train blasts case. Apart from the five bomb planters, special public prosecutor Raja Thakare had also pressed for capital punishment for three other convicts -- Dr Tanvir Ahmed Ansari, Shaikh Alam Shaikh and Mohammad Sajid Ansari.

The trio, along with the remaining four convicts -- Mohammed Majid Shafi, Muzammil Ataur Rahman Shaikh, Sohail Mehmood Shaikh and Zameer Ahmed Shaikh -- have been sentencted to life.

Also Read: Conspiracy was hatched four years before the 11/7 Mumbai train blasts

Mangled remains of the first class compartment of a Virar-bound train in which one of the blasts occurred after the local left Mahim station. 188 people died after seven RDX bombs exploded in the first class coaches of seven local trains on July 11, 2006. File pic

The Special Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA) court on September 11 had convicted 12 of the 13 accused in the case.

From arranging logistics for carrying out the July 11, 2006 train bombings to conducting recce of suburban trains, the accused had the task cut out for them in precision, as per the chargesheet filed by Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS).

As per the chargesheet filed in 2006, Kamal Ahamed Ansari transported Pakistani nationals to Mumbai via Nepal border, procured explosives, attended training in Pakistan and also planted a bomb in a local train, which exploded at Matunga railway station on the fateful day.

On the role played by Mohd Faisal Shaikh, the ATS said he not only went to Pakistan twice for training, but had also sent youths to that country for training purpose. He had also attended conspiracy meetings besides giving shelter to Pakistani nationals. Shaikh received money through hawala route. He also planted a bomb in a suburban train, which exploded in Jogeshwari.

Ehtesham Kutubuddin Siddiqui was the joint secretary of the banned Students Islamic Movement of India (SIMI) for Maharashtra at the time of the bombings. Besides attending conspiracy meetings, Siddiqui also conducted reconnaissance of local trains. He was also present
when bombs were made. He planted an explosive in a local train, which exploded at Mira Road station.

According to ATS, Muzammil Shaikh, Sohail Mehmood Shaikh, Zamir Ahmed Shaikh and Naveed Hussain Khan attended conspiracy
meetings and also surveyed local trains, while Naveed planted a bomb in a train, which exploded at Khar station.

The chargesheet said that Asif Khan had procured explosive material and planted a bomb, which exploded at Borivali station.

Tanvir Ahmed, who also underwent training in Pakistan, attended conspiracy meetings to carry out blasts. He was also present at the time of assembling bombs at suburban Govandi, the chargesheet stated.

The chargesheet said Mohammed Majid Shafi had arranged for transportation of Pakistani nationals to Mumbai via Bangladesh border and back after blasts.

It said that Shaikh Alam provided his house in Govandi for making bombs, while Mohammed Sajid Ansari assembled electric circuit, which was used to trigger bombs.

Thirteen Pakistani nationals, who also played active role in the blasts are still absconding. According to chargesheet, all the accused, accompanied by the 13 Pakistanis, travelled with seven bags containing explosives from the house of Mohammed Faisal Ata-ur Rehman in different taxis to Churchgate railway station and planted them in first class compartments of trains during the peak evening

Some of the accused had also surveyed important buildings like World Trade Centre, Bombay Stock Exchange, Mahalaxmi temple, Siddhivinayak temple and local trains. They chose trains as targets as other places surveyed by them had high security presence.

Read Story: 11/7 Mumbai train blasts verdict: Survivors recall their tale

88 people had died and 829 people were injured after seven RDX bombs had exploded in the first class coaches of seven local trains on July 11, 2006. The blasts occurred in five minutes, beginning 6.23 pm, and the bombs began to go off post-Matunga Road station towards the Virar end.

- With inputs from agencies

Chronology of 11/7 train blasts case

Following is the chronology of events in the 2006 Mumbai train blasts case, in which the trial court gave its verdict:

July 11, 2006: Seven RDX bombs kept in Mumbai suburban trains exploded killing 188 people and injuring over 800 people.

July 20, 2006 to October 3, 2006:- ATS arrests 13 accused in connection with the serial blasts.

November 30, 2006:- Chargesheet filed against 30 accused, including 13 Pakistani nationals, who are now absconding.

2007:- Trial begins.

February, 2008:- Supreme Court stays trial.

April 23, 2010:- Supreme Court vacates stay on trial.

August 19, 2014:- Trial in the train blasts case ends.

September 11, 2015:- MCOCA court convicts 12 out of the 13 arrested accused in the case.

September 30:- Trial court sentences accused.

You May Like



  • tommy30-Sep-2015

    Good justice finally by (MCOCA) court, a very nice decision to the grieved people who lost family members and also for the rest that are suffering thru the bomb blast, hence forth this should be done always whenever such people try to terrorize our country, these so people are not human's but they are of Devilish mind and heart, my condolences goes to one and all whoever have gone thru this trauma. Thanks once again (MCOCA) court for your good deeds and keep up this work always...

Leave a Reply