Nelson Mandela has been discharged from the Pretoria hospital where he had been receiving treatment since June, the South African president’s office said on Sunday.
He will continue his recovery at home.
“Madiba’s condition remains critical and is at times unstable,” South African President Jacob Zuma’s office said, referring to the revered leader’s clan name.
“Nevertheless, his team of doctors are convinced that he will receive the same level of intensive care at his Houghton home that he received in Pretoria.”
Mandela (95) was hospitalised on June 8 because of a lung infection. He marked his July birthday at the Pretoria hospital where he has been surrounded by relatives.
“During his stay in hospital from June 8 2013, the condition of our former president vacillated between serious to critical and at times unstable,” the office said.
“Despite the difficulties imposed by his various illnesses, he, as always, displays immense grace and fortitude.”
The frail icon has not appeared in public for years, but he retains his popularity as the father of democracy and emblem of the nation’s fight against apartheid.
Mandela became an international figure while enduring 27 years in prison for fighting against apartheid, the country’s system of racial segregation.
He became the nation’s first black president in 1994, four years after he was freed from prison.
His history of lung problems dates to his imprisonment on Robben Island, and he has battled respiratory infections since then.
George W Bush mistakenly announces Mandela’s death
George Bush Sr, the former president of the United States, sent social media into a frenzy on Saturday by falsely announcing that Nelson Mandela had died. Bush (89), sent condolences which were picked up by an American newswire, BNO. It was then flashed up by CNN. Jim McGrath, spokesman for Bush Sr, sent out an email entitled: ‘Statement by President George HW Bush on the death of Nelson Mandela.’ He wrote on behalf of the former president: “Barbara and I mourn the passing of one of the greatest believers in freedom we have had the privilege to know.”
But McGrath later apologised for the mistake. He said, “The statement sent this morning was the result of my misreading the header on the WaPo news flash. Stupid mistake by me. Apologies to all.”