The Nigerian terrorist group sent a ‘proof of life video’ showing 15 of the more than 200 girls wearing hijabs, in an unspecified location; parents have identified a few of them
Kano: Boko Haram has sent a “proof of life” video, which shows 15 of the more than 200 girls abducted by Islamist fighters from the northeast Nigerian town of Chibok two years ago.
The video was supposedly shot on December 25, 2015. The footage, shown on CNN, is the first time any of the missing girls have been seen since a previous Boko Haram video in May 2014, when about 100 were seen in Islamic dress reciting the Quran. Pic/AFP
The video showed the girls wearing black hijabs in an unspecified location, stating their names, and they were taken from Chibok. The video also mentions the date of the recording – December 25, 2015. Two of the three mothers of the 219 schoolgirls still missing since the mass abduction on April 14, 2014, recognised their daughters on the video but another broke down, as hers was not there.
All three, however, identified all the girls, as did a classmate, who was at home on the day of the kidnapping. The video is the first concrete indication that at least some the girls are still alive since a previous video released by Boko Haram in May 2014. Then, about 100 of the teenagers were shown in Islamic dress, reciting passages from the Quran after Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau said they had converted to Islam.
Girls appear under no stress: Minister
Nigeria’s information minister Lai Mohammed told CNN the girls in the video appeared “under no stress whatsoever” and there had been “little transformation in their physical appearance”. But he declined to comment directly on the state of talks with Boko Haram.