2002-03 Mumbai triple blasts: Delayed at work, he took the fateful train

If only Ramakant Salvi had caught an earlier train on March 13, 2003, his family members’ lives would have taken a different course. The 58-year-old resident of Dombivli had taken a Karjat-bound train that day when he missed his usual local after getting caught up in some work at office. He was among the 11 who lost their lives in the train blast.

Nandkishor Salvi
Nandkishor Salvi

Salvi’s brother, Nandkishor, who was in court for some work unrelated to the case, didn’t even know of Tuesday’s significance. It was only after he noticed the hullabaloo and enquired with the assembled mediapersons that he found out about the convictions in the triple blast case. Nandkishor told mid-day that his elder sibling worked as an official at the Bombay High Court, and used to board the train for Dombivli every day.

“Because of some work, he left the office late and took the Karjat-bound train, instead.” He sat close to the first-class compartment, which bore the brunt of the explosions.

The family was apprised of the casualty later that night.

By the time they reached the Sion Hospital, where Salvi had been admitted, he was declared dead.

The image of his brother’s cold, dead body still haunts Nandkishor.

Nandkishor said the family received a compensation of Rs 2 lakh. Since Salvi’s wife, too, was a working professional, the family was financially stable.

You May Like



    Leave a Reply