'Fatigued' 24-yr-old falls off overcrowded Mumbai train, rescued after 2 hrs

A 24-year-old man fell from an overcrowded Mumbai suburban train on Thursday evening and was lying on the tracks injured and helpless for over two hours after the accident yelling for help before he was rescued. 

The incident took place at around 8pm between Diva to Dombivali station on the Central line.

The tragic event took place since the victim, identified as Imtiyaz Ali Shaikh, was tired after working for hours in the torrid afternoon. Imtiyaz was returning home from Belapur on the Harbour line and had taken a fast train at Kurla. Imtiyaz, who was standing near the door, suddenly felt dizzy and fell off the train.

However, even after the accident Imtiyaz was conscious and called his mother, Shairabanu Shaikh.

Shairabanu said, "He was weeping on the phone and told me that he fell from the train near Dombivali station and injured his head. He was not able to speak clearly but I kept talking to him till we reached the hospital. His father informed our relatives at Dombivali and they took help of RCF to find him at the station."

“I asked him how he had fallen and he explained to me that it had happended due to fatigue since he hadn't eaten anything since morning. He said that he was feeling very dizzy due to the heat and tiredness," said Shairabanu.

Shockingly, Imtiyaz was rescued only after a two-hour delay during which time he was lying near the tracks, injured and yelling for help from passing trains.

When he saw people coming towards him, he used his cellphone's light to direct them. After that he was first taken to Sashtrinagar hospital at Dombivali and after the arrival of his family was immediately shifted to Sion hospital at around 1:30 am.

“We got a call from Imtiyaz’s brother and we immediately started searching for him near the tracks. The accident site was at 10 minutes from Dombivali railway station. It was difficult to find him due to darkness,” said one of the officials from RPF officers who rescued him.

Imtiyaz was admitted to the Emergency Ward of Sion Hospital.

“The patient has a serious head injury and a fracture on the right arm. An operation for his head injury will be conducted and we will then will shift him to the general ward," said one of the doctors treating him.

    Leave a Reply