Next

257 Army personnel killed in last three years

New Delhi: 257 Army personnel including four soldiers from Nepal have been killed in various operations in the last three years, Lok Sabha was informed today.

According to the data provided by Defence Minister Arun Jaitley in a written reply, 32 soldiers from Uttar Pradesh lost their lives in these operations while 26 of them belonged to Rajasthan. 257 Army personnel were killed (battle fatal casualties only) in various operations during the last three years and the current year, he said. The Minister informed that 93 cases related to allotment of land to the family of these martyrs were pending.

Answering another query, Jaitley said CBI has registered 106 cases of alleged irregularities and corruption related to the defence sector in the last three years. He said seven of the 106 cases have been closed while the remaining were in different stages of inquiry, investigation and trial. Major cases registered by the CBI include alleged AgustaWestland chopper scam and the Rolls Royce scam. "Whenever any irregularity or corruption in defence procurement comes to light, the case is instantaneously handed over to the CBI for thorough investigations," Jaitley said.

To a query on inclusion of life cycle costs in defence deals, the Minister said, "So far only contract has been concluded that is the supply of Basic Trainer Aircraft of the IAF, using the Total Cost of Acquisition (TCA) model on the Life Cycle Cost approach." He said a total of nine cases based on Life Cycle Cost have been initiated by the services including seven from the Air Force and two from the Navy. "No case using the LCC approach has been aborted/ cancelled at final stages," the Minister said.

Six officers were among the 21 personnel who were killed in 22 accidents involving naval warships and submarines in the last three years, Lok Sabha was informed today.

"A total of 22 accidents have been reported involving warships and submarines during the last three years and the current year. 21 navy personnel including six officers and 15 sailors lost their lives in three of these accidents," Defence Minister Arun Jaitley said in reply to a written query.

The accidents involving INS Sindhurakshak and INS Sindhuratna account for 20 of these deaths. 18 personnel were killed in Sindhurakshak mishap which sank after an explosion in its torpedo compartment on August 14 last year while two officers had lost their lives in mishaps involving the INS Sindhuratna.

In the last one year itself, the Navy has suffered over 15 accidents and this led to the resignation of former Navy Chief Admiral DK Joshi taking the overall responsibility of these mishaps. Meanwhile, answering another query, Jaitley said the Maharashtra government had sent a proposal to build floating jetties along the Gateway of India in Mumbai but the "Headquarters, Western Naval Command conveyed reservations on the proposal from security angle."

You May Like

MORE FROM JAGRAN

0 Comments

    Leave a Reply