Bucharest: A nightclub fire followed by explosions has killed 27 people and injured 180 in downtown Bucharest, authorities announced on Saturday.
Interior Minister Gabriel Oprea said that 27 people were confirmed dead in the explosion in a nightclub named Colectiv on Friday, Xinhua reported.
At least 180 injured persons were admitted in different hospitals in Bucharest, according to Secretary of State of the Health Ministry Raed Arafat.
Emergency service and police forces block the area near a club in Bucharest October 31, 2015, after an explosion. Photo: AFP
"I am shocked and profoundly saddened by the tragic event," stated Romania President Klaus Iohannis in a Facebook post, stressing that "It is a very sad moment for us, for our nation and for me personally."
"The evacuation of the club was over," said Interior Minister Gabriel Oprea, who is also deputy prime minister.
Around 400 young people were in the club when the fire broke out around 11 p.m. (local time). No foreigners were reported so far among the dead or injured, Oprea said.
Many of those being treated in hospitals were suffering from smoke inhalation and severe burns, Arafat said.
Staff at another hospital said most of the people they treated were teenagers aged between 14 and 16.
"The only information we have is that fireworks were used in the club and after that the tragedy happened. Of course, this is under investigation," Arafat told the BBC.
According to the Facebook page of the club, the club was to play host on Friday evening to the launch of an album by band Goodbye to Gravity.