70 people had died when the building collapsed on November 15 last year
The site is now a dumping ground. 70 people were killed in Lalita Park when a five-storey building keeled over in the east Delhi colony last year.
Great fall: Rescue workers search for survivors under the rubble of the
building. File pic
"Nobody has come here since then. It is a case property now; nobody touches it. Sometimes, government officials are seen surveying it," said Balvinder Singh, a local.
The commission of inquiry instituted by Delhi government is yet to submit its report. The panel was supposed to finish its probe within 90 days of occurrence of the incident.
Sources in Delhi government said the panel had earlier alleged that DDA and MCD were delaying furnishing records related to the area, which was hampering the probe. The allegation has been rejected by both agencies. Sources said, nearly 25 officials are assisting the commission.
The commission is headed by former Delhi High Court Justice Lokeshwar Prasad who had in April sought a second extension till November 30. The prime accused in the case and the owner of the building, Amrit Pal Sachdeva is now out on bail. The affected families have moved away.
Chief Secretary, Delhi government, PK Tripathi was not available for comments. Mayor Rajni Abbi said, "The inquiry report of MCD is yet to come. We have taken every necessary step after the incident and identified and sealed the illegal dangerous buildings. The law enforcement agencies must cooperate in prevention of illegal buildings coming up."