Bollywood actor Sanjay Dutt, who is currently lodged in Pune's Yerawada jail in the 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts case, has been granted a month-long parole, district authorities said on Friday.
Dutt, undergoing sentence for his conviction under the Arms Act in the 1993 blasts, had applied for parole to the Pune Divisional Commissioner Prabhakar Deshmukh in whom the authority to grant parole is vested.
"He has been granted one-month parole on the recommendation made by the prison officials. The date of his release on parole will be decided by them after completing the formalities," Deshmukh told PTI.
The 30-day parole is conditional with the actor having to report to Khar police station for two days in a week during his parole.
Deputy Inspector General of Prisons R Dhamne, however, said the jail authorities were yet to receive the order of parole sanction from the office of the Divisional Commissioner.
Dutt could be released tomorrow if the order was received with completion of subsequent formalities, prison sources said.
Earlier, the actor had spent all of October at home in Mumbai after availing of 15 days leave of furlough and then extending it further by another fortnight in October on medical grounds.
He returned to jail on October 30 and told PTI: "I still have a problem in my legs but it is a bit better than before. Pray for me so that I can come out soon. Happy Diwali to all."
The 53-year-old actor is currently serving the remaining 42 months of his sentence for illegally possessing arms in a case related to the 1993 Bombay serial blasts. Earlier this year, he was convicted by the Supreme Court and sentenced to five years in prison. He has already served 18 months of his term.
On May 10, the Supreme Court had dismissed Dutt's plea seeking review of its judgement on his conviction and the five-year jail sentence.