Paris: UEFA boss Michel Platini is to stand as a candidate for the presidency of world football's governing body, FIFA, UEFA announced yesterday.
The announcement ends weeks of speculation over whether the 60-year-old Frenchman would stand in the election to find a successor to the beleaguered Sepp Blatter.
Blatter decided to stand down shortly after being re-elected as president in June with scandal-hit FIFA's reputation in tatters. He announced last week that the election for his successor would be held on February 26, 2016.
Platini officially announced his candidature in a letter to the presidents and general secretaries of the 209 FIFA member countries, and made public by UEFA.
"This was a very personal, carefully considered decision, one in which I weighed up the future of football alongside my own future," he said. "I was also guided by the esteem, support and encouragement that many of you have shown me."
Prince Ali Bin Al Hussein said yesterday that he thought Michel Platini, who confirmed he will run for FIFA president next year, is "not good for football and football's fans and players deserve better".
The Jordanian prince, who was beaten to the post at the head of world football's governing body by long-standing chief Sepp Blatter in May, turned on the Frenchman and said Platini, who is seen as a strong candidate, is not the man to run the sport's global affairs.
"Platini is not good for FIFA. Football's fans and players deserve better," he said in a statement. "FIFA is engulfed in scandal. We must stop doing business as usual. The practice of under-the-table deals must end."