Mumbai/Nagpur: The controversy surrounding the comedy show 'AIB Knockout' is escalating with various political parties jumping on the bandwagon of attacking the Bollywood celebrities and stand-up comedians who participated in the show.
The MNS on Tuesday threatened to stop films of director-producer Karan Johar and actors Arjun Kapoor and Ranveer Singh from releasing in Maharashtra unless they tendered an "unconditional apology" for participating in the controversial comedy show AIB Knockout.
Amey Khopkar, President of the Maharashtra Navnirman Sena film wing, said the organisers of the AIB Knockout too must tender unconditional apology.
He also demanded that the state government should ban such programmes from being organised.
Opposition Leader in Maharashtra Legislative Council Dhananjay Munde also demanded a criminal case against the producers, organisers and actors of an "offensive and abusive" comedy show which went viral on social media.
"A criminal case should be immediately registered against the producers, organisers and actors for the offensive language used in the 'AIB Knockout' comedy show," Munde told reporters in Nagpur.
Mumbai Police have also initiated an inquiry based on a complaint against filmmaker Karan Johar, actor Arjun Kapoor and Ranveer Singh, which alleged that the trio, along with other comedians, had used abusive language during the 'AIB Knockout', a comedy show, held in December last year at Worli in Mumbai.
Maharashtra Cultural Affairs Minister Vinod Tawde told reporters yesterday that officials of the Culture Department would examine the (AIB show) videos for the content. "If found vulgar, action will be initiated," he had said.
Criticising the state government on the issue, Munde alleged "the Devendra Fadnavis government is defending the misdeeds of the producers and actors of the show, who used abusive language on the show that went viral on social media."
"Why is the Fadnavis government talking about a probe when ample evidence in the form of the entire episode of 'AIB Knockout', is available on YouTube?" Munde asked.
"Just as the Censor Board clears and is responsible for the content of all the released feature films, the programme was duly cleared by the concerned authorities of the Cultural Ministry. How could this show, where even actresses were present, was allowed to be put up on social media?" he said.
"The custodians of culture should act immediately into the case," he said.