AIBA bans Indian boxers post World Championships
The International Boxing Federation (AIBA) has decided to extend the Indian Boxing Federation's (IBF) suspension to its boxers and coaches. However, the Indians will be able to compete in the October 11-27 World Championships as AIBA had already "authorised" their participation.
AIBA, which had suspended the IBF in December for “possible manipulation” in its elections, says it is still doesn't know when the IBF plans to hold fresh polls. “Until the election process is completed, the IBF is still provisionally suspended.
All its membership rights have been suspended including the participation of Indian boxers and coaches in any AIBA competition from now on, except for any competition for which authorisation to participate has already been granted, like in the case of the World Boxing Championships in Almaty,” AIBA communications director Sebastien Gillot told IANS yesterday.