Commuters had a narrow escape as a BEST bus caught fire on the busy LBS Marg in Mulund on Friday afternoon. But the alertness of the conductor and bus driver saved the passengers.
The incident which took place at around 12:45 pm happened due to the engine overheating.
The fire rapidly spread to the driver’s cabin. Fortunately, the commuters weren't harmed since the driver evacuated the bus as soon as he saw smoke emanating from the engine. The driver though has sustained some minor injuries.
The fire brigade immediately rushed to stop and doused the fire.
Hanumanta Gophane, BEST spokesperson said, “The bus belongs to Mulund depot and was ferrying passengers from Mahatma Paratap Chowk in Mulund West to Sahar cargo on route No 409. When it reached the Veena Nagar bus stop at around 12.45 pm, the driver saw smoke emanating from the engine compartment. He stopped the vehicle and raised an alarm. The conductor ensured that the bus was immediately evacuated. The fire spread to the driver cabin and also resulted in the breaking of a glass on the window.”
'Look' how the Sheena Bora case has taken a toll on Indrani Mukerjea
Photos: Katrina Kaif, Parineeti Chopra, Shilpa Shetty's movie outing in Juhu
Birthday special: 14 Bollywood actors who made it big on TV
Photos: Vaani Kapoor, Poonam Pandey, Sana Khan at fashion event
Photos: Rishi Kapoor, wife Neetu, daughter Riddhima at book launch