A 26-year-old man sustained burn injuries while travelling on the rooftop of a suburban train last night.
The incident occurred at around 8.48 pm when the Virar-bound train halted at Borivli station. The victim Jignesh Banjariya came in contact with the 25,000-volt overhead electric wire and fell on the tracks.
Survivor: Rahul Vithal Gaund, who suffered the same fate while
travelling on the roof of a train last week. file pic
"Banjariya received a severe electric shock from the overhead wire and fell on the tracks. The railway staff rushed to the spot and admitted him to Bhagwati hospital," said a senior WR official present at the spot.
"There were two other men with Banjariya who were travelling on the train's rooftop. However, shocked at seeing Banjariya's state, the two fled the spot. Later one of them who sustained minor burn injuries approached us and we admitted him to Bhagwati hospital."
A similar incident occurred a few days back when Rahul Vithal Gaund, 22 years old, underwent the same fate while travelling on the roof of a local train.