At least six killed, 27 wounded in Afghanistan blasts

Afghan security forces inspect the wreckage of rickshaws damaged in a blast that targeted a police ranger vehicle in Jalalabad. Pics/AFP
Afghan security forces inspect the wreckage of rickshaws damaged in a blast that targeted a police ranger vehicle in Jalalabad. Pics/AFP

Jalalabad: At least six people were killed and 27 wounded on Friday in a series of explosions across the eastern Afghan city of Jalalabad.

Attahullah Khogyani, spokesman for the provincial governor of Nangarhar, said the blasts took place in different parts of the city. Nangarhar, on the border with Pakistan, has been the main base for Islamic State militants who emerged in Afghanistan last year.

Khogyani said there was so far no indication as to whether either they or the Taliban were behind the attacks. The National Directorate of Security arrested a suspected member of the Islamic State terror group who allegedly confessed to planting the explosives.

The suspect was reportedly detained while filming the aftermath of the bombings on his mobile phone. Afghan police services opened an investigation into the events.

However, neither the IS — which controls pockets of territory in the region — nor the Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack.

You May Like

MORE FROM JAGRAN

0 Comments

    Leave a Reply