On the occasion of Audrey Hepburn's 87th birth anniversary, here are 10 interesting facts about the iconic actress
1. Audrey was born as Audrey Kathleen Ruston in Ixelles, a district of Brussels in Belgium.
2. She became a humanitarian after closely observing the second World War.
3. Audrey was ranked by the American Film Institute as the third greatest female screen legend in the history of American cinema.
4. The lady had a passion for ballet from the age of five and also performed as a chorus girl in various West End musical theatre productions.
5. She had secretly danced for people to collect money for the Dutch resistance.
6. Audrey loved to read and was nicknamed ‘Monkey Puzzle’ by her father.
7. The actress is one of the few entertainers to have won Academy, Emmy, Grammy, and Tony Awards.
8. She devoted her later life to UNICEF.
9. Audrey spoke English, Dutch, French, Spanish and Italian.
10. Her favourite poem was ‘Unending Love’.
Audrey Hepburn is best known for her work in timeless Hollywood classics like Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961), Roman Holiday (1953) and many others. She won the Best Actress Trophy at the 1953 Academy Awards for her role in Roman Holiday.
Hepburn's portrayal of Holly Golightly in Breakfast at Tiffany's is generally considered to be the actress' most memorable and identifiable role. Audrey Hepburn regarded it as one of her most challenging roles, since she was an introvert required to play an extrovert.
Other notable roles include Sabrina (1954), The Nun's Story (1959), Charade (1963), My Fair Lady (1964) and Wait Until Dark (1967) for which she received Academy Award, Golden Globe and BAFTA nominations.
The actress, who is still regarded as a fashion icon and the most naturally beautiful woman of all time, has also been placed in the International Best Dress List Hall of Fame.
She was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom in recognition of her work as a UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador in December 1992. A month later, Hepburn died of appendiceal cancer at her home in Switzerland at the age of 63.
Photos: Sunny Deol with sons Karan and Rajvir at Mumbai airport
Photos: 10 beautiful moments that capture winter around the world
Muhammad Ali birth anniversary: Top boxing films of all time in pics
Photos: Karisma Kapoor, Preity Zinta, Shraddha Kapoor at Mumbai airport
Spotted: Anushka Sharma and Diljit Dosanjh at Mumbai studio