Aussies no fixers: Clarke
Australian Test and one-day captain Michael Clarke said yesterday he was "100 percent confident" that no Australian cricketers were involved in match-fixing.
His comments followed allegations made in a London court this week implicating Australian players during the corruption trial of ex-Pakistan cricket captain Salman Butt and fast bowler Mohammad Asif. "Me personally, I have never been approached by anyone," he said on his departure for South Africa for a three-match one-day series that kicks off on October 19 ahead of Tests in Cape Town and Johannesburg in November.
"The players I have played with, I'm 100 percent confident they would never be involved in that," he added on the Cricket Australia website. "It is not the Australian way. Never in my time have I experienced a conversation with anybody about any such things." He admitted that some Australian cricketers had been approached, but it had always been reported to the authorities.
"There has obviously been a couple of occasions where guys (in our team) have been approached and that has been reported to our team manager and to the International Cricket Council," he said. "So all the boys in the Australian team are aware that it is happening and that it is going on. "But, like I said, it has never involved me and I'm very confident that it has never involved any of the Australian play.