Bus services resumed on Monday at the Badlapur-based English medium school, where a four-year-old girl was raped by the school bus cleaner last month.
After the incident, angry mobs had smashed the buses, after which the school had stopped providing the facility to students.
The school had remained closed after the buses were damaged, and reopened only on September 19, without any bus transport being provided. Students were stranded and had difficulty reaching the school.
After many parents requested the school authorities to restart the facility, a meeting was held with them, after which, the school had decided to continue with the same bus contractor.
Vivek Sharma (name changed), a parent, said, “Finally, the school bus services have started for students staying far away. The buses now have a lady attendant inside the school bus, but there are no CCTV cameras installed inside the bus.”
It is to be noted that the school had promised to have a lady attendant and CCTV cameras in its buses. MiD DAY had reported about the same on September 25 (‘School decides to continue with same bus contractor’).
However, parents say that the buses have been privately hired and do not belong to the old contractor, who has been with the school for more than five years.
When contacted, the old school bus contractor, who did not wish to be named, said, “My buses are under repair and the school has not contacted me yet to restart the service. So, I have not provided the buses to the school.”
Spotted: Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma and other celebs at Mumbai airport
Photos: Salman Khan's 'special friend' Iulia Vantur at a song launch
Photos: Hrithik Roshan, Anushka Sharma, other celebs dazzle at event
In Pictures: Sex scandals involving Indian politicians
Photos: Abhishek Bachchan and Farah Khan at Boman Irani's birthday bash