Kuala Lumpur: Former World No.1 Lee Chong Wei was on Monday handed an eight-month sanction for a doping violation, but the Malaysian star shuttler will be able to return to international badminton next month as the ban was backdated from August 30.
Lee Chong Wei
The 33-year-old Malaysian was temporarily suspended by the BWF on November 11 last year after traces of the banned substance dexamethasone was detected in his system while competing in the World Championship in Copenhagen in August.
"The sanction, imposed by the BWF Doping Hearing Panel, has resulted from an Adverse Analytical Finding of Lee's sample taken at the BWF World Championships last 30 August in Denmark," BWF said in a release.
"Appearing before the BWF Doping Hearing Panel on 11 April, Lee accepted that Dexamethasone was present in his sample and that he had consequently committed an anti-doping violation under regulation 2.1 of the BWF Anti-Doping Regulations (2009)," the release said.