Ban on Toran procession this year: Police

Oct 05, 2012, 07:56 IST | Sandip Kolhatkar

In a bid to avoid violent confrontation between various groups during the upcoming Navratra festival in the city, the police have decided to ban 'Navratra Toran processions' during the festive season

Last year, the city witnessed bloody a confrontation between two rival groups during the procession in Dhankawadi. Members of Maratha Yodha and Ganaraj groups clashed and the president of Ganraj mandal, Bhaiju Pramod Navghane, was murdered. 

After the murder of their president, group members ransacked several two-wheelers and four-wheelers in the Dhanakawadi area and created a major law and order situation in the city.

Clash last year
Similarly, in Old Sangavi Tushar Rajendra Dhore (23) was murdered in a clash between the Jai Ganesh and Shitole groups in 2011.

Five persons were arrested after the Balajinagar clash and charged under the stringent Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA). “Owing to the danger and rivalry between the groups, we have decided to ban the Toran procession in the city and not a single mandal will be given permission to go ahead,” said Commissioner of Police, Gulab Rao Pol.

Will face action
He warned of stringent action against mandals if they violate the ban or flouting the rules.

Joint Commissioner of Police (law and Order) Sanjeevkumar Singhal said, “We have identified some groups, who may create law and order issues during the festival and preventive action will be initiated shortly.” 

Go to top