Ecclestone said he could see “no reason” why the race, which was cancelled in 2011 after an uprising but went ahead despite demonstrations last year, should not be a success. “Yes. There’s no reason why it shouldn’t be (a success),” Ecclestone told AFP at the Chinese GP in Shanghai.
Last week, police fired tear-gas and sound bombs to disperse hundreds of people, mainly Shiite opposition who are organising a week of protests that began on Friday to coincide with the grand prix. And yesterday, authorities said a “terrorist group” used a gas cylinder to blow up a car overnight in Manama. Nobody was hurt.
Authorities in the resource-rich Gulf kingdom have promised "appropriate security measures" for the race. "The security situation in Bahrain is very reassuring," a government spokeswoman told the state news agency BNA.
Photos: 'Dangal' girls Sanya Malhotra, Fatima Sana Shaikh's dinner outing
Photos: Salman Khan, Daisy Shah spotted at the Mumbai airport
Photos: Rakhi Sawant to play Honeypreet in Ram Rahim biopic
Photos: Arvind Kejriwal asks Kamal Haasan to join politics
Photos: TV actress who played goddesses on the small screen