Birth anniversary special: Trivia on England cricketer Colin Cowdrey
On veteran England cricketer Colin Cowdrey’s 82nd birth anniversary, we give you some interesting information on the iconic player.
Colin Cowdrey. Pic Midday Archives
* Colin Cowdrey, although a cricketer for the England national team, was born in Bangalore, India in 1932.
* Colin Cowdrey’s family played cricket during their time – father Ernest, son Chris and Graham and grandson Fabian.
* Colin Cowdrey was the first cricketer to play 100 Test matches.
* Cowdrey was the first batsman to hit centuries home and away against six different countries – Australia, India, Pakistan, West Indies, New Zealand and South Africa.
* Colin Cowdrey played 114 Tests scoring 7,624 runs with an average of 44.06 and a top score of 182.
* In first-class cricket, he played 692 matches scoring 42, 719 runs and a high score of 307.
* He was the third and last sportsman to have a memorial service at Westminster Abbey. Cricketer Sir Frank Worrell and footballer Bobby Moore are the other two.