The day Monica Seles created history: Interesting facts and trivia
On this day in 1990, tennis star Monica Seles became the youngest winner of a Grand Slam tournament when she won the French Open final at Roland Garros. We give you some interesting facts you may not know about her.
Monica Seles. Pic/ AFP
- Although born in Yugoslavia, Monica Seles is of Hungarian decent.
- She was at the no. 1 spot at the year-end rankings in 1991, 1992 and 1995.
- In 1990, at the age of 16, Monica Seles went on to become the youngest-ever French Open champion.
- Karolj, her father and first coach, passed away to cancer in 1998, leaving Seles psychologically disturbed.
- She is a winner of 9 Grand Slams in all and 44 tournaments.
- Seles won eight Grand Slam titles before the age of 20.
- She became s United States citizen in 1994.
- Monica Seles was stabbed by a man with a knife on court during her Hamburg Open quarter-finals match against Magdalena Maleeva, in April 1993.
- In 1996, she went on to win her fourth Australian Open title.
- She did not play tennis since 2003, but retired only in 2008.