Agnelo Gracias, Auxiliary Bishop of Bombay, has debunked the allegations that were levelled at Judith Monteiro, (former elected trustee of Our Lady of Salvation Church), Dadar, regarding misappropriation of funds eight years ago. Monteiro was expelled from the Parish Pastoral Council, which subsequently filed an application with the charity commissioner to have her removed from the Old Lady of Salvation Board of management.
Monteiro then approached Auxiliary Bishop of Bombay to clear her name of the charges. A few days ago, Agnelo Gracias, Auxiliary Bishop of Bombay, issued a statement, discrediting the charges against Monteiro.
This paper had reported how the case had been taken up in the Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate’s court in Dadar after Monteiro had filed a case when she was accused of siphoning off church school funds and expelled without inquiry. (‘Bishop’s man in court, June 12, 2010).
“I am happy that His Eminence Oswald Cardinal Gracias & His Lordship Bishop Agnelo Gracias have stood by the truth. It is said that justice delayed is justice denied, but the Church has proven that justice and truth have no expiry date. I look forward to my parish respecting and upholding the Hierarchy’s statements and undoing their wrong act,” said Monteiro, in a written statement available to SMD.
The Association of Concerned Catholics (AOCC) & Maharashtra Catholic Youth Forum (MCYF) appreciated Cardinal Oswald Gracias and Bishop Agnelo’s forthwith condemnation of the expulsion of Judith Monteiro.