Satara: Three construction workers were today killed and five others got injured in a gelatin stick blast near a wind power station in Bothe village here, police said.
The blast took place around 9.30 AM when gelatin sticks being used at the windmill erection site caught fire and exploded in a godown at Maan taluka here, claiming three lives, Dahiwadi police said.
The deceased workers have been identified as Shashikant Kulkarni (40), Dadaso Ramchandra Jagdale (52) and Sandeep Uttam Mane (35), all hailing from Satara, police said.
The injured have been admitted to Satara Civil hospital. Although the cause of the explosion has not been exactly ascertained, company (Quantinum Windmills) supervisor Hanmant Dake, who is one of the injured in the incident, said that combustion sparks from the waste dump outside the godown apparently triggered a blaze in the godown which resulted in the gelatin explosion. Further investigations are underway, police added.