After the 15-year-old boy, detained for his alleged involvement in raping an inmate in Vidyavati Ashram, ran away on Monday, academic career of the 14-year-old boy, the second detainee in the case, appears to be in jeopardy.
Soon after the teachers of the private English school where both the teenagers had been enrolled were subjected to enquiry, the institution contacted the Observation Home and asked it to withdraw the teen’s admission.
Sources said that after the Juvenile Justice Board observed that the Observation Home should see to it that the education of both the boys is not hampered, the home authorities contacted several English medium schools in the vicinity as the teenagers had studied at a English medium school in Lonavala.
“Many schools denied admissions saying they would not like to provide education to children in conflict with the law for their alleged involvement in a rape case,” a source said.
Sources claimed that after mammoth efforts, the home authorities finally found a school that was willing to enrol the boys without disclosing their identities and treat them as regular students. Despite repeated attempts the school principal remained unreachable.
“The provision for education should have been made inside the Observation Home. Efforts should had been made to counsel the child at Balmargadarshan Kendra before he was allowed to attend the school outside its premises,” Child Welfare Committee member Jayvant Sarode said.
Senior Police Inspector Pandharinath Patil of Shivajinagar police station said that an alert has been sounded across the state. “We have communicated with all the police stations across the state and have given them his photograph. But so far nothing positive has come up,” Patil said.