From the brabourne files
> The Governor of the city in the 1930s, Lord Brabourne, was a great follower of cricket. The Brabourne Stadium at the Cricket Club of India was named after him. The stadium was built on a piece of reclaimed land, which Governor Brabourne handed over to the Cricket Club of India.
> The architect trio of Gregson, Batley and King drew up the designs for this historic cricket stadium. The stadium boasted a seating capacity of 40,000 and came equipped with a state-of-the-art clubhouse, billiards room, tennis and badminton courts and a swimming pool.
> The inaugural match was held here in 1937 between the CCI and Lord Tennyson’s XI after it was officially opened on December 7 1937. Almost every historic tournament in cricket, Ranji (inter-state) as well as international matches were played here until the nearby Wankhede Stadium was completed in 1974.
> The Brabourne played host to the prized Bombay Pentangular after it was shifted from the Bombay Gymkhana in 1937-38.