Rio De Janeiro: Former world player of the year Ronaldinho has left Atletico Mineiro, the club said Monday.
The 34-year-old left on amicable terms after a meeting between his agent and brother Roberto de Assis and the club president Alexandre Kalil, Mineiro's press service told AFP.
Ronaldinho. Pic/ AFP
The former Barcelona, AC Milan and Paris Saint-Germain forward had been contracted to the Belo Horizonte-based club until December. De Assis said Ronaldinho and Kalil will give a joint press conference on Wednesday where the player will clarify his future. However, retirement is apparently not on the agenda.
"He will play until he's 42! He will reveal his future destination on Wednesday," said De Assis, according to the Globo Esporte website.
The 2004 and 2005 world player of the year came to Europe in 2001, joining PSG from Gremio. He won the Champions League with Barcelona in 2006, as well as back-to-back La Liga titles in 2005 and 2006. He also added a Serie A crown with Milan in 2011.
He returned home to Flamengo in 2011 but walked away from the Rio club after a year over a salary dispute. He then scored 28 goals in 88 matches for Mineiro, for whom his last match was last Wednesday.