Next

Champions League T20 has less to cheer about

The razzmatazz associated with Twenty20 cricket would be missing this time when the Champions League T20 kicks off on September 17.

The Working Committee of the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) on Sunday decided to ban cheerleaders from the Champions League as part of their “Operation Clean-Up”.


Cheerleaders during a Champions League T20 tie in South Africa last year. Pic/AFP

“There were various suggestions out of which one was about banning the cheerleaders. Nobody had any objection to this,” a source told MiD DAY yesterday.

The skimpily dressed cheerleaders, usually foreigners, were a major attraction for audience in T20 cricket. They would dance to the Disc Jockey’s tune whenever a four or six was hit, or a wicket would fall. To many, cheerleaders were looked upon as an oomph factor in the game.

Jagmohan Dalmiya had announced several proposals to clean up the IPL mess when he took over as interim president of the BCCI after N Srinivasan stepped aside due to his son-in-law and Chennai Super Kings Team Principal, Gurunath Meiyappan’salleged involvement in the Indian Premier League betting scandal.

The BCCI press release listed some suggestions during the Kolkata meeting: An Anti-Corruption and Security Unit official along with dedicated security staff for each team; the movement around the dugout and match officials area would be restricted and a strict code of conduct would be enforced; players/support staff/match officials shall not accept any gifts during the course of the tournament.

They should disclose the value of the gifts that they have received 15 days prior to the commencement of the tournament and also the person from whom they received the gift; the players and support staff will have to declare and disclose the mobile numbers being used by them and all calls coming through the hotel exchange will have to be cleared by the team manager; the anti-corruption unit will seek the help of the local police authorities wherever required.

BCCI scrap SA tour?
Meanwhile, according to sources, the BCCI is “least bothered” to send a team to South Africa. Although ‘stepped aside’ BCCI president N Srinivasan had told PTI that the South Africa tour is “definitely on”, an insider said the much-awaited tour could be called off.

“There was no discussion in the Working Committee about the South Africa tour. They (members) seemed least interested in finalising an itinerary. From the outset it looked as if they want to call-off the tour,” he said.

The BCCI’s relationship with Cricket South Africa reportedly soured after Haroon Lorgat, former ICC Chief Executive Officer was appointed as CSA Chief Executive in July this year.

The Indian board is believed to have clashed with Lorgat during his time at the ICC over the Future Tour Programme (FTP)and Decision Review System (DRS). 

You May Like

MORE FROM JAGRAN

0 Comments

    Leave a Reply