Sydney: Australia captain Michael Clarke was encouraged by his comeback from injury and remains hopeful he is on track to play in the World Cup.
Despite tearing his right hamstring last month in the first Test against India, Clarke was selected in his country’s 15-man squad with the proviso that he be fit for their second match against Bangladesh on February 21.
Michael Clarke during a Grade match in Sydney on Saturday. PIC/Getty Images
He returned to action for Western Suburbs in a Grade fixture against Gordon at Chatswood Oval and batted almost three hours, and 128 balls, for 51.
“The fact I’m back on the field playing is a really positive sign,” said the 33-year-old. “But there’s a long way to go before I can walk out on the field into an international.
“The experts seem to think I’m ahead of schedule, a good week, week and a half ahead of schedule, but it’s one day at a time for me,” he said.