A city court yesterday dismissed the bail plea of journalist Syed Ahmad Kazmi, arrested for his alleged involvement in the February 13 blast in an Israeli embassy car.
The Chief Metropolitan Magistrate rejected Kazmi’s bail application and said, “Considering the gravity of the offence and severity of punishment prescribed under the law..., I am not inclined to admit bail to Kazmi at this stage.”
Kazmi’s claim that he did not destroy his laptop and other evidence was of no help at this stage, said the court. His counsel Gajinder Kumar moved the bail plea last week and said that he should be granted bail as his interrogation had ended.
Police filed their reply on Kazmi’s application seeking the names of interrogators who quizzed him during custody.
On February 13, four people were injured when an Israeli embassy car was struck by a bomb near the prime minister’s house in central Delhi.
Tal Yehoshua Koren, wife of the Israeli defence attache, suffered multiple injuries when a motorcycle rider attached a magnetic explosive device to her car and sped away. Within seconds, the device exploded, setting the car on fire.