Court orders perjury case against woman for false rape charge in New Delhi

New Delhi: A Delhi court has directed lodging of a case against a woman for levelling false rape charges and fabricating evidence to implicate a man, observing that the "evil of perjury" has to be dealt with "an iron hand" as it has now assumed alarming proportions. This was a fit case where the woman deserved to be proceeded against for committing offence of perjury, the court said, adding it would be failing in its duty if appropriate proceedings are not initiated against her.

"The evil of perjury has assumed alarming proportion in cases depending upon oral evidence and therefore time has come to deal with this menace with an iron hand," Additional Sessions Judge Virender Bhat said, adding there was no truth in the woman's allegations that she was drugged and raped.

"It is evident from the evidence on record that the prosecutrix had levelled false allegations of rape against the accused and has fabricated false evidence in order to get the accused convicted on false charges and to extract money from him... the prosecutrix has committed offence punishable under section of 193 (giving false evidence in judicial proceedings) of IPC," the court said.

It directed the court staff to file a complaint against the woman in the court of Chief Metropolitan Magistrate for lodging a false rape case against the man and fabricating evidence to ensure that he was convicted.

Delhi resident Uday Bhan was acquitted of rape charges and administering stupefying drug with intent to cause hurt. He had claimed innocence during the trial. According to the complaint lodged by the woman, she had given Rs seven lakh as loan to Bhan and when she demanded her money back, he avoided making repayments.

She had alleged that on October 25, 2010, Bhan had called her on the pretext of repaying the loan but when she met him, he offered her tea after having which, she fell unconscious for five hours and was raped.

The court relied on the forensic report which said no sedatives or tranquilisers had been administered on the woman on the day of incident.

It also took on record the call details of woman's mobile phone during the claimed five-hour period of her unconciousness, saying it suggested she was continuously talking during that time.

The court said the condition, in which police officials found the woman after she made a call to police control room, indicates that "she was sitting somewhere and was consuming liquor and no such incident had taken place."

    Leave a Reply