Decision on minor's role in Delhi gangrape on July 25
The Juvenile Justice Board (JJB) yesterday deferred till July 25 its decision on the role of a minor accused in the Dec 16, 2012, gang rape case, while holding him guilty for the separate robbery charge.
Principal Magistrate Geetanjali Goel reserved the decision in the gang rape case, saying that the final verdict will be given on July 25.
The proceedings were also attended by the victim’s father. The board’s decision on the punishment for the juvenile in the robbery case, in which he was held guilty, is also likely to be given on July 25.
“The order on the robbery case against the juvenile will be taken up on the same day (July 25),” said Rajesh Tewari, legal head counsel of JJB.
The board concluded on July 5 its hearing in the robbery case filed against the juvenile and reserved its order for Thursday.
The accused, who was aged 17-and-half years at the time of the gang rape and robbery, may face a maximum punishment of a three-year stay in a special home, including the time already spent in detention during the proceedings in the board. He turned 18 last month.
During the trial, the juvenile was kept at a government-run observation home. After the conviction and punishment, he may be shifted to a special home, said a police officer.