New Delhi: A fire broke out today in a room of the South Block, which houses Prime Minister's Office and offices of Defence and External Affairs Ministry, but no one was injured, police and fire officials said.
Firefighters douse a minor fire that broke at South Block Gate number 8 in New Delhi on Sunday. Pic/PTI
The blaze was reported at around 5.55 PM in Room No 31 on the upper ground floor, situated near Gate No 8, following which 11 fire tenders were rushed to the spot, they said.
The room, where fire broke, is used for conferences by the Ministry of External Affairs, a senior police official said, adding that it took around 20 minutes for firefighters to douse the flames, which engulfed the furniture kept there.
A few officials were present when the fire broke out. The premises was evacuated and nobody sustained any injuries, the official said.
It is suspected that the fire was caused by a short circuit, he said, adding that investigation is underway.
Photos: Shah Rukh Khan, Shweta Bachchan at Karan Johar's book launch
Photos: Sunny Deol with sons Karan and Rajvir at Mumbai airport
Photos: 10 beautiful moments that capture winter around the world
Photos: Karisma Kapoor, Preity Zinta, Shraddha Kapoor at Mumbai airport
Spotted: Anushka Sharma and Diljit Dosanjh at Mumbai studio