The festivities of Diwali came to an end with an increase in pollution level in the capital.
A day after Diwali, the level of pollutants in the air reportedly shot up on Thursday due to excessive use of fireworks.
The rag pickers and workers of the civic body, New Delhi Municipal Corporation (NDMC) said that as they ascertained the number of crackers fired by the residual garbage and compared to previous years lesser number of crackers were fired this Diwali.
"This year, in Diwali, people have bursted less crackers as compared to the last year. As when I sweep I can make out that people have fired less crackers this 'Diwali'," said Rakesh, an NDMC worker.
Due to fireworks, toxins and harmful compounds like sulphur dioxide, carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide, manganese, cadmium are released in the air and can cause adverse impact on lungs, causing numerous respiratory ailments.
The increase in pollutant levels also causes symptoms like eye burns, running nose, skin allergy and skin rashes.
Earlier, Delhi, chief minister Sheila Dikshit had appealed to children to avoid use of firecrackers and instead make Diwali bright and colourful with 'diyas' and 'Rangoli'.