Weeks after being dropped from the West Indies' World Cup squad and after four years in the wilderness in Test cricket, West Indies all-rounder Dwayne Bravo has announced his retirement from the longer format of the game
Port of Spain (Trinidad): West Indies all-rounder Dwayne Bravo has announced his retirement from Test cricket, after four years in the wilderness in the longer format of the game and just weeks after being sacked from the One-Day International (ODI) squad.
The 31-year-old has played 40 Tests but had not suited up for the West Indies since December 2010, when the West Indies toured Sri Lanka, reported CMC.
West Indian all-rounder Dwayne Bravo has represented his country in Tests since December 2010. Pic/Getty Images
He was recently axed as one-day captain and dropped from the team for the tour of South Africa as well as the ICC World Cup in Australia and New Zealand next month.
In a statement late Friday, Bravo said he had already informed the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) of his decision to retire from Tests but said he had made clear his desire to continue playing ODIs and Twenty20s.
Dwayne, who had recently signed a year-long retainer contract with the WICB and was part of the West Indies' T20 side against South Africa, is proud be represent the national side.
"Today I am announcing my retirement from Test cricket. I have already informed the WICB of this decision and also indicated my desire to continue to represent the West Indies in the shorter formats of the game," said Bravo in his retirement statement.
"Over the years, with the greatest enthusiasm, I have done my best with the deep awareness that I am ultimately representing the people of the game.
"I recognise that this is a difficult time for all of us. Our people of the region have seen and enjoyed great cricketing days but we will not return to glory until we agree to go forward with our love for the game and the respect of the administrators, players and the public.
"I have experienced the exhilarating joy of victory and the devastating pain of defeat. The joyous memories will remind me of what we are capable of achieving. I want to be part of that mission.
"I thank the cricketing fraternity for their support and look forward to serving you with determination and the pride of being a West Indian."
Bravo made his international debut back in 2004 in an ODI against England and developed into the region’s leading all-rounder at one stage.
He came to be known for his effervescent medium pace and brilliant outfielding, with a safe pair of hands, and effective batting down the order.
Overall in Tests, he compiled 2,200 runs at an average of 31 with three centuries - with a best of 113 against Australia in 2005.
He bagged 86 wickets at an average of nearly 40.
The Trinidadian was appointed captain of the ODI team in 2013, replacing Darren Sammy.
He then played a key role as players’ spokesman on the controversial abandoned tour of India, where he clashed with the West Indies Cricket Board and the players' union, WIPA, last October.
He led the revolt against the cricket board and the West Indies Players Association (WIPA) against non-payment of dues and the team that led to the India's tour ending abruptly in the middle of the one-day series. A miffed BCCI slapped a heavy fine of 42 million US dollars on the WICB and still insists on paying the damages for the heavy losses due to the teams pull-out.
Bravo was subsequently dropped for the one-day tour of South Africa and the World Cup, prompting claims of victimisation from several quarters.