Doctor booked for leaving gauze inside woman after delivery

A Haryana doctor has been charged with medical negligence for allegedly leaving object inside a woman's stomach following a cesarean section

A city couple recently made the shocking discovery that their gynaecologist had botched up their delivery by leaving an object inside the woman’s stomach. The incident occurred with Saurav (31) and Aarti Bhardwaj (29), a couple who reside in Powai. Aarti was pregnant last year and her husband took taken her to her hometown in Kurukshetra district, Haryana for the delivery.

She underwent a Caesarian delivery at Agarwal Nursing Home on October 28. Dr Shripati Tulika Agarwal was the doctor for the operation. Aarti was discharged on November 1. But, when the couple returned to the city, she started experiencing severe stomach pains and also contracted a fever.

Representational pic

Said her husband, “When the pain was too much, I took my wife to Joy Hospital in Chembur. Nothing showed up in the ultrasound scan, and hence, we decided to go for a CT scan.” The couple then took the report of the CT scan to a doctor at Hiranandani Hospital in Powai, who informed them that a piece of gauze, a kind of surgical bandage, had been left inside Aarti’s stomach. He suggested that an operation be done.

On January 2, the woman was operated upon and was discharged yesterday. Bhardwaj lodged a case of medical negligence at Powai police station around 9 pm yesterday. Dr Agarwal was booked under sections 337 (causing hurt by act endangering life or personal safety) and 338 (causing grievous hurt by act endangering life) of the Indian Penal Code. The case was then transferred to a local Haryana police station.

Can you believe it!
Last year, a man in Germany sued a hospital after doctors forgot 16 medical instruments inside of him. Doctors removed a needle, compresses and surgical strips from banker Helmut Brecht after his wounds failed to heal properly following surgery in 2009. After his death, his family is seeking $106,216 (Rs 66.17 lakh) in damages. According to a study in the US, some 1,500 patients have had surgical objects accidentally left inside them after surgery each year.

You May Like



    Leave a Reply