Senior West Indies cricketer Chris Gayle, Dwayne Bravo and Darren Sammy have taken to Twitter to lambast the WICB selectors for ignoring them for the ODI tri-series involving Australia and South Africa next month
Their exclusion from the West Indies squad for the ODI tri-series involving Australia and South Africa next month despite being part of the successful World T20 team has left senior West Indies cricketers Chris Gayle, Dwayne Bravo and Darren Sammy angry at the selectors.
The West Indian selectors astounded cricket followers by including all-rounder Kieron Pollard in their 14-man squad for next month's tri-nation series, ending the Trinidadian's near two-year exile from the team.
Chris Gayle, Darren Sammy, Andre Russell and Dwayne Bravo celebrate the fall of an English wicket during the World T20 final. Pic/PTI
The West Indies Cricket Board selectors included off-spinner Sunil Narine for his first international tournament since he was banned last November by the International Cricket Council for an illegal bowling action.
But what surprised most was the exclusion of quartet of Gayle, Andre Russell, Bravo and Sammy, all of whom were members of the successful Twenty20 World Cup squad in India last month.
The WICB's eligibility rule requires players to make themselves available for the Regional Super50 series in January, if they are to qualify for selection to the ODI squad.
But this WICB's criteria for selection would mean both Pollard and Narine fail because the duo didn't play the West Indies' domestic 50-over competition. Pollard was injured during the Ram Slam T20 in South Africa in November last year and only regained fitness in time for IPL 9, and Narine was banned from cricket at the time after his bowling action had been declared illegal. He was cleared to bowl by the ICC only in April.
Gayle, Bravo and Sammy did not play the Nagico Super50 in January because they were playing the Big Bash League in Australia at the time.
The trio's exclusion from the ODI squad hasn't gone down well well with them and the three took to Twitter to express their anguish.
Bravo lashed out at the selectors for their 'magical' thinking. The 32-year-old was at his sarcastic best when he tweeted, "Joke of the day: WI selectors?? One minute Pollard & Narine were not good enough & now are perfect for Tri Nation series? It's like magic!"
Joke of the day: WI selectorsðÂÂÂ— Dwayne DJ Bravo (@DJBravo47) May 19, 2016
One minute Pollard & Narine were not good enough & now are perfect for Tri Nation series? It's like magic!
One minute we have to be available for domestic super 50 to be selected and the next minute, it seems we don't. Magic! Get serious people!— Dwayne DJ Bravo (@DJBravo47) May 19, 2016
Bravo, who is currently playing in the Indian Premier League for Gujarat Lions, added, "One minute we have to be available for domestic super 50 to be selected and the next minute, it seems we don't. Magic! Get serious people!"
Gayle, who has been in trouble earlier too for hitting out at the West Indian Cricket Board (WICB), also took on the selectors. He said, "@KieronPollard55 & #SunilNarine selected for WI Tri-Series. How is that possible @westindies?".
"WICB stop Sunil from playing super 50 and now they pick him. If @KieronPollard55 was fit he would've play the B Bash just like the rest of us!!" the southpaw said in another post.
WICB stop Sunil from playing super 50 and now they pick him. ðÂÂ©ðÂÂÂ— Chris Gayle (@henrygayle) May 19, 2016
Sammy wondered how Pollard had made a comeback, but then suggested that the criteria for the selection seemed to be 'be injured and stay home'.
Well that's the criteria. Be injured and stay home. Then u are back in.. https://t.co/xeCur2F6Kq— Darren Sammy (@darrensammy88) May 19, 2016
Hmmm I guess he's rolling back the years.. really happy for him tho https://t.co/F330X3MV9C— Darren Sammy (@darrensammy88) May 19, 2016
When Sammy and Bravo had blasted WICB after WT20 win
Star all-rounder Dwayne Bravo had joined his captain Darren Sammy in the attack on West Indies Cricket Board calling it the "most unprofessional" in the world and expressed doubts about a resolution being reached between the players and WICB on their pay dispute in the near future.
Bravo, who has had several run-ins with the WICB in the past, made the comments following the West Indies triumph in the World T20 in India.
"Too many times people come down on the players. They questioned our commitment, they questioned whether we were really committed to West Indies cricket or is it just the money. A lot of people don't understand the things we go through as players dealing with our board. It is the most unprofessional board in the world to me," Bravo was quoted as saying during a Skype interview with CNC3, a television network based out of Trinidad & Tobago.
Immedialtey after winning the ICC World T20 title, the victorious West Indies captain Darren Sammy had said that it was the "disrespect" from their own cricket board (WICB) that made them all the more determined to win the title for the second time.
"We needed silverware in the Caribbean in 2012 and yes nobody gave us a chance back then. This one with all that happened before the tournament the disrespect from journalists and from our own cricket board that was out of order. The only way we could make statement is by winning this tournament," Sammy said at the post-match press conference.
"When you see those 15 men out there play now, that's what we could talk about. It is solely dedicated to the people and fans all over the world," said Sammy. He spoke about how the U-19 team and the women's team inspired them to do well.
Photos: Varun, Taapsee, Jacqueline promote 'Judwaa 2' on 'Dance Plus 3'
Photos: This is how Chitrangda Singh looks without make-up
Photos: Malaika Arora parties wearing see-through lace dress
When exes Ranveer Singh and Anushka Sharma met at GQ Awards 2017
Photos: Mira Rajput visits a clinic in Bandra