Los Angeles: Using an adequate amount of the right kinds of fats and oils can play a pivotal role in slowing down the ageing of your body.
Good fats provide the body with fuel alongside the feeling of fullness. These can also stimulate fat burning.
Studies show the value of supplementing our diet with additional essential fats to prevent and treat a broad spectrum of diseases.
Distinguishing good fats from bad fats can be tricky, so here are the top eight healthy fats and oils, reports femalefirst.co.uk.
* Coconut Oil: It has rightly earned the title of a 'superfood' and it is consumed in large amounts by some of the healthiest populations around the world. It is also brilliant for those looking to lose or maintain their weight. The fatty acids in coconut oil have been shown to speed up overall metabolism, helping people expend more energy compared with long-chain fats.
It can also help with neurological disorders and can significantly benefit common skin issues. It also helps in reducing scars and marks on the body.
* Borage Oil: Borage seed oil has one of the highest amounts of linolenic acid and is widely used as an anti-inflammatory support for a number of conditions including eczema, psoriasis and rheumatoid arthritis. It can be hard to track down, so try taking it in supplement format.
* Hemp Seed Oil: Hemp oil or hempseed oil is obtained by pressing hemp seeds. It is named to be nature's perfect food due to its balanced concentrations of Omega fatty acids 3, 6 and 9. Studies have shown it can help support heart health and promote proper cardiovascular function. It has a beneficial effect on hair, skin and nails, with people who regularly use and consume hemp oil reporting thicker and shinier hair, softer skin and stronger nails.
* Flax Seed Oil: This oil contains the highest concentration of Omega 3 fatty acids and the right amount of consumption has been shown to improve cardiovascular health as well as exhibiting chemo-preventative effects against colon tumour developments.
* Pumpkin Seed Oil: A great one for both men and women, research has found that it can significantly help improve prostate health due to its richness in zinc, and also help women with menopause as it can decrease blood pressure, hot flushes, headaches and other menopausal symptoms.
* Avocado Oil: This is known for its skin-boosting effects. In addition to its nourishing, moisturising and protective fats, it also contains significant levels of antioxidants, such as Vitamin E, which help keep skin supple and smooth.
* Omega 3 Fish Oil: Arguably the best type of fat, the fats produced by oily fish contain the highest concentrations of Omega 3 fatty acids which is proven to make a positive difference to heart and brain health as well as improving the skeletal system.
* Olive Oil: It is an integral part of the traditional 'Mediterranean Diet' which is associated with vitality, longevity and low incidence of chronic disease. Olive oil is prized for its health-promoting properties and is particularly helpful in promoting optimal cardiovascular function, maintaining good blood flow and bettering cognitive function.
Photos: 'Dangal' girls Sanya Malhotra, Fatima Sana Shaikh's dinner outing
Photos: Salman Khan, Daisy Shah spotted at the Mumbai airport
Photos: Rakhi Sawant to play Honeypreet in Ram Rahim biopic
Photos: Arvind Kejriwal asks Kamal Haasan to join politics
Photos: TV actress who played goddesses on the small screen