English county Sussex sacks Monty Panesar for 'urinating on bouncers'
England spinner Monty Panesar has been released by his Sussex county club following an internal investigation into his drunken behaviour outside a British nightclub two weeks ago.
The news comes as yet another blow for the 31-year-old cricketer, who was also overlooked for the final Ashes Test at The Oval against Australia. Panesar was fined by police last week for urinating on ‘Shoosh’ nightclub security guards at the beach town of Brighton on the south coast of England after he was thrown out for misbehaviour.
His county club, Sussex, had announced they would investigate the matter and have now confirmed that the left-arm spinner has played his last match for them.
"Sussex County Cricket Club can confirm that Monty Panesar will be allowed to leave the club at the end of the 2013 season.
"The club's investigation into the recent incident, which took place on Monday August 5, has been concluded and both parties have reached agreement. He will become a free agent as of Friday September 27, 2013," it said in a statement on Monday morning.
Sussex said Panesar would become a free agent as of September 27 and that they'd agreed to his request to play on loan for a club in the Second Division of the County Championship until the end of the season. "Additionally, Sussex has agreed to Monty's request that he be allowed to play on loan for a club in Division Two of the LV County Championship until the end of this season," it added.
According to media reports here, Panesar is expected to spend the remainder of the season on loan with his former club Northamptonshire.
Essex have also been touted as a likely destination for the remainder of the current campaign.
Panesar, meanwhile has apologised for letting Sussex down and said he was aiming to regain his Test place. "I apologise for letting the club, my colleagues and my fans down," said the 31-year-old left-arm spinner.
"I am determined to do whatever it takes to gain selection for England this winter. I want to become the best I can be."
Panesar added: "I am grateful to Sussex for allowing me to be released from my contract for 2014 and 2015 in order to explore other opportunities to further develop my cricket. I want to give myself the best chance of playing all forms of the game at the highest level.
"I would like to thank Sussex for the opportunities, experiences and support I have enjoyed at the club since 2010, and my gratitude for the contribution Sussex have made in providing me with a platform to gain selection for England on three successive winter tours.
"I have endured a challenging time this year off the field and my frustrations have sometimes got the better of me professionally," Panesar, whose wife is reportedly filing for divorce, added.
Panesar played the last of his 48 Tests against New Zealand in Auckland in March but was included in England's squad for the drawn third Ashes Test against Australia at Old Trafford.
"I believe that if I maintain the bowling progress I have made in recent weeks which enabled me to be selected for the Test squad at Old Trafford, I can fulfil my long-held ambition of becoming the best spin bowler in the world, over time," Panesar said.
Sussex chief executive Zac Toumazi added: "Clearly this season has been a very difficult time for Monty Panesar.
"Having reviewed the whole situation, the club has agreed that Monty be released from his contract.
"This will give him every opportunity to put his personal and professional life back on track."
Panesar, who has taken 164 Test wickets at 33.78, was left out of England's squad for the Ashes finale at The Oval starting Wednesday, with Lancashire's uncapped left-armer Simon Kerrigan included as a second spinner behind off-break bowler Graeme Swann.
England, who've retained the Ashes, have an unbeatable 3-0 lead in the five-match series.