Dengue claimed another life in the city taking the death toll to four this year. Malad resident Tariq Jafri (32) is the fourth person to succumb to the disease. Tariq who had contracted high fever three days ago was admitted at Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital (KDAH) in Andheri (W) on Wednesday morning in a critical condition. Eleven hours later he succumbed to his illness.
Tariq was initially admitted to Suchak Hospital in Malad (E) three days ago. On Wednesday his condition worsened and he was shifted to KDAH. His platelet count dropped below normal levels and he suffered from kidney failure as well as brain hemorrhage, informed his relatives. Besides Tariq, his wife Shakila (32) and daughter Tasneem (4) were also admitted at the same hospital with high temperature after being diagnosed with dengue.
Shakila, who was also admitted at KDAH on Wednesday, took discharge from the hospital against medical advice. The doctors at the hospital have requested her relatives to get her readmitted so her treatment can continue. When this reporter visited Shakila at her residence, she was was running a temperature of 101 degrees.
Tariq who was a tax consultant resided with his wife and three children at Samuha (society no. 136), MHADA colony, Malwani, Malad (W). Residents from Shakila’s area claim around 11 dengue cases have been reported from the same lane between October and November. They also allege that unless a complaint is filed at the local ward office, the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) does not take the initiative to fumigate their area.
Of the 11 dengue cases reported from the area, MiD DAY managed to trace two victims who have since recovered. Imran Ahmed Durani (28), an interior designer, was diagnosed with dengue on November 21. He was treated at a local nursing home for seven days. Imran said, “My platelet count fell to 30,000 within two days and there was a swelling in my liver. The doctors first thought it was due to viral fever until the test reports confirmed I was dengue positive. I was kept in the ICU throughout my stay at the hospital.”
Bhawana Kambli (18), a second year student of BMS, also tested positive for dengue. She was admitted in a private hospital between October 13 and 17. Her platelet count was around 2 lakh, and she also suffered from swelling in her liver.
Kambli said, “I had frequent vomiting bouts and stomach ache for three days. I had to miss six papers at the semester exams. There are too many mosquitoes in our area and the BMC rarely fumigates the surroundings. Unless we lodge a complaint, they do not bother to take preventive measures in our area.”
Dr Ram Narain, executive director, Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital, said, “Tariq was admitted to our facility at 8.30 am on Wednesday in an extremely critical condition with a diagnosis of dengue shock syndrome. He was admitted to our ICU and despite all medical efforts, he expired at 7.45 pm the same day. His wife Shakila was admitted on the same day in the regular ward. She took discharge against medical advice on the same day following her husband’s demise.”
He added, “Tasneem was admitted to our Pediatric Intensive Care Unit after being diagnosed with dengue fever on Wednesday. She remains critical.”
Public hospitals in the city alone have recorded 907 cases of dengue since January this year, according to BMC officials. Out of these cases, according to BMC figures, only three deaths have been recorded due to dengue this year.
Additional Municipal Commissioner, BMC, Manisha Mhaiskar, said, “BMC is putting its best efforts to keep a control on the cases on dengue across the city. We also constantly hold drives to create awareness among the people. This unfortunate case of death has raised this year’s dengue death toll to four.”
When questioned about the lack of fumigation and awareness posters, a senior official from the BMC, said on condition of anonymity, “Fumigation is only meant for malarial mosquitoes and is not required for dengue causing mosquitoes. It is the responsibility of residents to ensure that there is no water stagnation in their surroundings. Dengue mosquito breeds in domestic premises and hence the residents have to ensure that water does not collect under flowerpots, near AC outlets and other areas in their houses. Regarding the posters, once an area is identified with dengue prevalence, we immediately put up placards and posters and also conduct awareness campaigns.”