Father who abandoned infant in hospital shows up at home

A day after the 20-year-old mother of Sion Hospital’s ‘abandoned’ baby returned to claim her child, the now five-day-old infant’s father Pramod Mahato returned to the family’s home in Boisar, Palghar district last morning.

Mahato had both slipped out of the hospital premises on Wednesday morning, after his infant, who was born with a cogenital defect, underwent surgery.
Bharati had then gone to Boisar looking for him, before returning to the hospital.

On the road to recovery: Having undergone surgery on Tuesday, the infant’s condition is now stable and he will be discharged in the next few days, revealed doctors from Sion hospital

The infant, named Roshan, was born with a condition known as imperforate anus at a Palghar civic hospital on Monday. The very next day, Pramod and Bharati brought him to the city and admitted him to Sion hospital, where he underwent a colostomy the same night.

MiD DAY had reported on the incident (‘Monster parents flee while 3-day-old son undergoes surgery’, May 10). The parents disappeared from the hospital premises on Wednesday morning around 8 am, after which a complaint was filed at the hospital police chowkie.

Speaking to MiD DAY, Sudarshan Mandal, the young couple’s neighbour, said, “We got to know today at 10 am that Roshan’s father had returned to Boisar. He informed us that he was extremely anxious and so abruptly left for Kalyan, where he met one of his friends, from where he left for his village in Jharkhand.”

“He said he was unable to contact his family as his mobile phone was not working. He said he will be returning to Sion hospital on Monday morning,” added Mandal.

Pramod works as a daily wage labourer at a construction site in Boisar. Baby Roshan is their first child and the fact that he was born with a congenital defect made the father extremely anxious, said Mandal.

A police case has not been registered against the parents in Sion police station, since Bharati informed authorities that she left the hospital to arrange for money, thinking that the baby would be safe in hospital.

The infant’s condition is now stable and he will get discharged in the next few days, said a doctor from the hospital. 

You May Like



    Leave a Reply