A major fire broke out, on Thursday in Andheri's Lokhandwala area at 7 am. Although no casualty was reported, it took the Mumbai Fire Brigade quite some hours to bring it under control. The flames have been doused now.
The fire broke out in Raheja building's 12th floor. It has 16 floors in total. The fire started in a flat and soon spread outside. Eight fire engines and six tankers were sent to the spot. It took the fire brigade about two hours to fully douse it. Cooling operations are underway. No casualty has been reported.
"We will be checking the firefighting equipment of the building and sending them a notice as per procedure," said an official from the Andheri fire station.
The fire started when a family was performing some rituals at home. At around 5.30 am on Thursday, a family of three lit the lamp while performing a ritual. The the curtain beside the lamp caught fire. A resident who did not wish to be named said, "As soon as the curtain caught fire, the fire alarm started ringing. Immediately a security personnel reached their home but by that time they had managed to douse the fire." He further added, "However the AC wire caught fire that lead to short circuit. It was then that the the fire tenders were called."
Another resident of the society added, "Everything in the home including clothes are burnt. The family had to leave for their relative’s place because of the disaster."
The electricity of wing 4 of Raheja Classic had to be disconnected till 6 pm as a precautionary measure. No telephones could be used, elevators were shut and the residents of the entire wing were evacuated for sometime in the morning," explained a resident of another wing.
Mumbai Roundup: 9 incidents that took place this week
Photos: Ajay Devgn, Parineeti, Tabu at 'Golmaal Again' trailer launch
Photos: Dipika Pallikal Karthik oozes oomph in bikinis and sarees
Photos: Kareena Kapoor Khan's grand birthday bash
Photos: 'Dangal' girls Sanya Malhotra, Fatima Sana Shaikh's dinner outing