Fire on board INS Viraat, one crew member dies

INS Viraat, which was on a routine deployment to Goa, reported an incident of steam leak and minor fire in one of the ship's boiler rooms late this afternoon.

IANS Veerat
INS Viraat. Pic/Satyajit Desai

While the incident was quickly brought under control, four sailors who were present at the scene and combating the fire sustained injury from the smoke.

One of them, Chief Engineering Mechanic Ashu Singh was critical having suffered smoke inhalation.

He was shifted to the naval hospital at Goa where he suffered a cardiac arrest and succumbed to his injuries. Next of kin have been informed. The other three are under treatment and out of danger. Prima facie, some insulating material in the boiler room appears to have caught fire from heat due to steam leak. Investigations are on. Viraat is expected to sail back to Mumbai soon.

You May Like

MORE FROM JAGRAN

0 Comments

    Leave a Reply