This is what is called a professional hazard. A 28-year-old fireman fractured both his ankles when a huge portion of a coconut tree he was cutting fell on him yesterday in Nalasopara. He was rushed to a nearby government hospital but was left unattended for seven hours.
Injured Abhishek Malap’s family alleges that he was not given proper medical treatment at the hospital. Pic/Hanif Patel
Following heavy rain on Thursday night, a coconut tree fell near a bungalow situated across the road in Nalasopara, thus blocking movement of vehicles and causing a traffic jam. Locals reported the incident to the fire brigade officials and the BMC after which a team of five fire brigade officials, which included the victim, visited the spot around 8 am and decided that the tree needs to be cut in pieces due to its length.
Abhishek Malap was cutting the tree when suddenly a huge piece of it fell on his feet causing him serious injuries. He fell unconscious at the spot. He was rushed to the local government hospital, Vasai-Virar Shahar Mahanagar Palika Rugnalaya but his treatment was not started immediately.
“We brought him to the hospital at around 9 am. But the orthopaedic doctor came at 4.30 pm,” said Abhijit Malap, Abhishek’s 30-year-old brother and a fire brigade employee, who was also part of this operation and thus was present at the spot. The brothers live in Agarwal Nagri in Vasai.
The health officer attached to the hospital however has denied the allegation.
“Proper treatment was given at the right time. An orthopaedic examined him and plastered his ankles, which were fractured. There was no delay from our side,” said Dr Anupama Rane.