Philip Muan from Rumah Endawie Nangka Jela Engkari in Lubok Antu caught the ikan puyu (climbing perch) while fishing in a drain near Batang Ai with his 10-year-old brother.
He removed the hook and tried to bite the head off the fish to kill it but it slipped into his mouth and lodged itself in his throat. His father, Muan Burong said his sons returned home when they failed to remove the fish from Philip’s throat.
Muan took the boy to the Batang Ai clinic from where he was taken to the Sri Aman Hospital. From there, Philip was rushed to the Sarawak General Hospital in an ambulance.
The fish had by then died and a foul smell emanated from the boy’s mouth.The operation to remove the dead fish took just a few minutes.
Photos: Celebs look super sexy in racy gowns at Oscars after-party
Photos: Remembering first President of India - Rajendra Prasad
Oscars 2017: Emma Stone, Nicole Kidman, other stars on red carpet
Photos: Shah Rukh Khan, Rekha at a prestigious awards event
Photos: Harbour services in Mumbai hit as goods train derails