As she prepares to face off against Maria Sharapova in today's French Open final, we profile the 22-year-old who is making waves at Roland Garros
1) When she was a teenager she went underwent breast reduction surgery to take her size from a 34DD to 34C. It was a measure aimed at improving her movement around the court. However, the 22-year-old is reluctant to keep talking about it. “Sorry, but I don’t want to speak about this one. It was a long time ago and it’s something personal, so I’m sorry. About tennis I will speak with pleasure, but that problem, it’s my personal thing. Sorry.”
2) Her manager is Virginia Ruzici, the only Romanian woman to win a Grand Slam title when she claimed the 1978 French Open. Ruzici was also the runner-up in Paris to Chris Evert in 1980.
Coach Wim Fissette
3) She has footballer’s legs. Well, that’s what her coach Wim Fissette reckons.
4) She plays tennis but doesn’t watch a lot of it, neither live nor on TV
5) Halep is the first player since Martina Hingis at the 1997 Australian Open to reach her first Grand Slam final without dropping a set (and Hingis went on to win that final in straight sets).
Pics: Prabhas, Tamannaah Bhatia at 'Baahubali 2' first look launch at MAMI
'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' photos: Aishwarya, Anushka, Karan get candid at MAMI
Photos: Huma Qureshi, Neha Dhupia and other celebs at MAMI
Photos: Amy Jackson, Daisy Shah at Mumbai airport
Photos: Sridevi, Irrfan and other celebs at 'Mughal-e-Azam' screening